Monday, January 29, 2007

Wonder Woman as Illustrated by Ben Caldwell

Ben Caldwell is perhaps best known as one of the rising talents in the comic book industry with his quirky and innovative style of art gracing countless covers, books and comics. He began his career working as a designer for Marvel’s toy division and quickly earned a reputation for his dynamic, cartoon-inspired visuals. Since then, Ben has gone on to work with numerous comic books publishers including DC, where he has illustrated several covers for the recent Justice League Unlimited series. In addition, Ben has illustrated a recent issue of Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures for Dark Horse. Ben has also gained wide-spread recognition as a published author for his best-selling books Action! Cartooning and Fantasy! Cartooning (from Sterling Publishing) both of which offer unique how-to instruction for up and coming cartoon artists. In addition, Ben provided the interior artwork for the highly popular Wonder Woman series of children’s books from HarperFestival. But Ben is perhaps best known for his critically acclaimed comic book series The Dare Detectives, which he both writes and illustrates.

Wonder Woman by Ben Caldwell


8 comments:

thopper23 said...

Hey there, Becca. I'm a long time reader, and I think that this is my first comment.

I'll tell you what finally did it....

The poor, malnourished guise of this incarnation of The Princess of the Amazons. It's as if, when drawing her, this artist completely disregarded any and all facts about Diana and went with an Olson prototype.

I would have been less surprised if he would have drawn her male.

I know that you love Wonder Woman. I also know that you love buxomy beauties. Doesn't this sadden you more than a bit? I want her to lasso some bagels for goddess' sake.

But, that being said, I love your blog, and have been drooling over your kitchen for the last twenty minutes!!!!

Scurvy said...

While I thinkthese are beautifully illustrated, I have to say I agree with thopper. I think WW needs to have more curves. ;)

Dr. Zaius said...

I can respect your opinion on the grounds that our culture creates unrealistic and even dangerous physical expectations for women and their bodies. (This also happens to men, but to a far lesser extent.)

I find that I have to disagree with you on this point, though. Wonder Woman is a comic book. Comic book characters are always drawn out of proportion. (I think that the standard is 8 to 8.5 heads tall, as opposed to the 7.5 heads tall that people are in reality.)

Artists draw what they feel is their own ideal, and you have to keep that in mind when you look at any artists work.

When you look at these pictures, you can say that you feel that they are drawn too skinny, but that is this artist's interpretation of Wonder Woman.

One of the great things about comic books is that you get to see your favorite characters drawn by different artists. I kind of like this guys style. He's going for kind of a youthful, anime look. Sometimes you have to put aside you own personal preferences to appreciate a particular artist's work.

Dr. Zaius said...

By the way, thopper23, I just checked out your site. Great photos! Everyone should take a look.

b. lynch black said...

i was under the impression that the illustrations posted were from the children's Wonder Woman -- so she is actually an adolescent girl and the figure is appropriate.

SamuraiFrog said...

b. lynch black is probably right; I had actually assumed that the bottom two pictures were supposed to be Wonder Girl, but a younger WW is probably right. I don't think a thinner Wonder Woman is a statement; I just thought it was stylized.

Becca said...

thopper & Scurvy-
As b. Lynch and Samurai pointed out these were indeed illustratios for a book about an adolescent Wonder Woman. That's actually one of the reasons why I liked these...aside from being a fan of Mr. Caldwell's work...they are kind of different from the norm.

Okay now that I've defended the illustrations let me say...down with the waif! There is nothing better than a thick busty woman and I promise lots more of them in the future.

Dr. Zauis-
Yes! One of my favorite parts of comic fandom is getting to see different artists impressions of how they think a familar character should look. I'm always so dissapointed when it's too close to the original design.

b. Lynch-
Thanks for pointing that out.

Samurai-
You too!

Becca said...

thopper-
By the way, I tried to sign up for a Flick account so I could tell you how lovely the pictures of you were but it's causing havoc with the computer. They really are great pictures, you are quite a lovely young woman.

Oh and I'm glad you liked the kitchen, I quite like it myself.