Friday, March 09, 2007

Gordons Alive!

Looks like the SciFi channel and Robert Halmi sr. and Jr. (the producers who brought us Farscape, Gulliver's Travels, Merlin, The 10th Kingdom and many other great TV mini-series...and a few really bad ones) has a planned 22 episode Flash Gordon series in production set to air in July 2007.


The only thing I do know is the man they've cast as Flash; Chris Showerman, perhaps best known for playing George of the Jungle in that straight to video sequel and the Halimi's are describing the show as an "inventive new take on the perennial science fiction classic". "Inventive new take" does not exactly bode well but I'm a pretty big fan of Flash's, I love the Alex Raymond strip, I even love that cheesy Sam Jones movie from 1980. I just hope this doesn't suck as hard as that Stargate series.

5 comments:

Dr. Zaius said...

How come they never do Buck Rodgers? Maybe there is a copyright issue. Wilma Deering was so enchanting, and I loved the rocket ships and crazy anti-gravity science.

I too hope that this new Flash Gordon vehicle does not suck.

SamuraiFrog said...

I'd love to see a new Buck Rogers myself. I worry this Flash Gordon is going to be too contemporary, but I'll give it a chance, even if it is those Farscape-cancelling bastards at SCIFI.

Becca said...

Of course the did have a go at Buck Rogers on TV with Gil Gerrard in the early 80's? Or was it the late 70's? I forget. It was so cheesy but I loved it as a kid. It came out on DVD within the last couple of years and I've been wanting to check it out again.

And yes the SCI-FI channel are a bunch of Farscape canceling bastards!

Dr. Zaius said...

Holy Scooter Libby memory, Becca, You're right! I forgot all about the horrible Gil Gerrard incarnation! I had meant the original extra retro-cool Buck Rogers - [ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ]

(The 80s version did have Erin Grey as Wilma Deering and Pamela Hensley as Princess Ardala wearing the only-really-seen-on-TV-in-the-80s-extra-clingy-tight spandex, which almost redeemed the show. Almost.)

Becca said...

I figured that's what you meant I just never miss any opportunity to discuss what was one of my favorite shows as a kid...however sad it seems now.

Man Buster Crabbe looked cool.