Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A few thoughts on Doctor Who's Third Season

Alot of Doctor Who fans I know have been talking about how weak this current third season has been and I guess I agree to some extent (I can't however completely hate a season with episodes as fantastic as Gridlock and Human Nature).


People hate David Tennant hammy acting, they hate Freema Agyeman who plays the new companion calling her a boring actress portraying an even duller character...I've even heard from people who think many of the episodes this season have been emasculating the doctor, making him too vulnerable and less of than the idyllic hero he's always been. I myself like David Tennant's crazy facial expressions, I don't mind Martha though she is pretty dull so far and I've been very fascinated by this look at some of The Doctor's flaws, it makes him a more interesting and dramatic character as long as they don't go too overboard with it.

But if I'm enjoying this season a bit less than the previous two I think it's cause Rose is gone. The more I think back to the first two seasons the more I come to realize that The Doctor wasn't the show's lead character, Rose was. She was the audience's entry point and we saw so many aspects of her life, we learned about her past, her pains, her joys and so much more. So if I'm enjoying the third season a bit less I think lack of Rose might be why.


Still I can't wait to see where this season is going Samuraifrog has an excellent post over on Electronic Cerebrectomy featuring his theories on the ultimate direction of this season. It's exciting speculation, completely brilliant and I can't wait to see if that's how things will unfold.

6 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I'm waiting for the shows to run on Sci Fi before I watch them but I will tell you this, I miss Rose as well. I fell in love with Billie Piper.

Becca said...

I really have been enjoying this latest season but I MISS ROSE TOO!

sigh...

At least you wont have to wait too much longer to watch it on SciFi.

Mike Lynch said...

Just saw BLINK and thought it was a fun puzzle. I'm finding I only like Martha Jones when her family's involved and I'm hoping that they'll play a role as we to the end of this season.

Becca said...

Wow Blink was a great episode wasn't it! Only three more episodes to go, I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

Clara said...

yeah, i had that exact thought a day or so ago. Rose was like the main character.. at the moment although I have liked some episodes it feels like I'm waiting for it to.. get back to normal I guess.. It feels like at the moment, its just in between something.. Not that I dislike Martha but she's hardly substituted Rose as a main character..

Becca said...

Well put. I've been rewatching this season in reruns leading up to the new season about to start (yeah!) and I've been enjoying it alot more. I guess now that I've had a bit of distance from the first two seasons it's easier to fall into the stories.

And that three parter at the end of the season! Wowee!!!!