Monday, June 04, 2007

Music Meme

Yeah! SamuraiFrog tagged me on a very fun looking music meme! Here are the rules:

1. Go to www.popculturemadness.com
2. Pick the year you turned 18
3. Get yourself nostalgic over the song’s of the year
4. Write something about how the song affected you
5. Pass it on to 5 more friends

There's only one problem for me...Pop Culture Madness only has the Billboard Top 40. I turned 18 in 1994 and shoot I don't think I listened to top 40 radio once that year. No in 1994 I was one of those goth kids running about in black clothes, with teased hair and caked on eyeliner. In fact after looking through the list I find other than I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred (which was everywhere at the time) I can only vaguely recognize most of these songs!

So since I can't get very nostalgic about songs I barely know I'm going to bend the rules and use the top 100 alternative singles from 1994 which comes closest to the kind of music was listening to at the time.

1. Cracker- Low This was the year that the tape player in my car broke, something or other got stuck inside and I was never able to get it out! So asside from Talk Radio (I'm a talk radio junkie) I listened to the local alternative radio station Q101 while driving and whenever Low would come on the radio I would turn up the volume and scream along (can't really sing). I still do this from time to time whenever I hear it on the radio or it shows up on an old mix tape.

Wanna get low? Sandra Bernhardt is in the video:


2. Girls and Boys- Blur This is another great song to scream at the top of your lungs which is exactly what my best friend from highschool and I would do whenever it came on the radio.

And here is the colorful video:


3. Red Right Hand- Nick Cave I swear this song was played in every dance club I went to in 94 only I wasn't a big Nick Cave fan til a couple of years ago so I had no clue who performed this until I heard it again recently. The intro is iconic though, brilliant song.

Here is the video for Red Right Hand:


4. Nine Inch Nails- Closer When I heard Head Like a Hole for the first time I instantly fell in love with Nine Inch Nails and I instantly ran out to buy Pretty Hate Machine. Pretty Hate Machine is a great album and even if it wasn't as hardcore industrial as Einsturzende Neubauten or KMFDM or Coil or Throbbing Gristle I still enjoyed it, I guess you could call Trent Reznor the Pat Boone of industrial music. When NIN released their second album Broken, I excitedly bought it on the day it was released before school. Unfortunately it wasn't nearly as good as Pretty Hate Machine but I still enjoyed it.

There is a story about Broken, that Reznor hired some of the biggest name in industrial music to help produce and mix it. The result however was too hardcore...not accessible enough and Reznor released his versions of the songs and released some of the songs in their original form on an EP called, Fixed. The Fixed EP is much better than Broken and a must have for any industrial fan...but back to Closer.

I LOVE this song, and not cause the chorus has a naughty word but it's so passionate, the music and the words just kind of invade me everytime I hear this song and honestly it's really the only Nine Inch Nails song I get the urge to hear any more.

Here is the "scandalous" director's cut of the video:


5. Morrissey and Siouxsie Sioux- Interlude Siouxsie and The Banshees was my favorite band pretty much all the way through high school. I also have a pretty huge weak spot for Morrissey so this was great! A sappy love duet between the two of them how can this get any better.

Not an official video but still a great way to hear the song if you are curious:


Now I get to tag five others to join in this meme madness! PJ, Scurvy, Dr. Zaius, John over at The Last Visible Blog and Dr. Monkey I'm very curious to see what everyone else choses!

3 comments:

Scurvy said...

I posted my results last night. Boy was that hard. At the time I was definitely not listening to the radio. The song "Help Me I am in Hell" from "Broken" is one of my favorites.

Becca said...

Cool! I'll head over and check it out now! It was hard to do though wasn't it!

I think I need to give broken another listen, I forgot about Help Me I am in Hell one of the other songs I used to love from that album. It's hard to go back and listen when you know just how much Nine Inch Nails suck these days.

PJ said...

Just did mine, just standard pop/rnb, but a few stories came to mind when the nostalgia hit. Thanks Becca.