Monday, July 09, 2007

Interview Meme 1

Who doesn't love to talk about themselves? That's why I love memes so when I saw this one going around I had to jump on the bandwagon! I asked 3 of my fellow bloggers to interview me and will post the interviews over the next few days. Here is the first from Ben Varkentine. Great questions Ben thanks for taking the time!

1. Have you ever owned a The Kids From Fame album? If so, tell us about it. If not, tell us about the LP purchase you'd most like to forget...

No…at least I don’t think so. My mom used to have the soundtrack to the TV show Fame on LP but I really don’t remember much about it except the “I wanna live forever song”. The LP purchase I wish I could forget however has to be…gosh I don’t know…if there is one I seem to have forgotten it. Of course that said I have a ton of music in my collection that I enjoy but some would find embarrassing like both Spice Girls albums and the soundtrack to Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (it’s so awful it’s good, everyone must see this train wreck of a movie at least once in their lives).

2. Wouldn't Isaac Asimov's Black Widower stories make a great radio drama series, if only anybody still made radio drama in this country?

I am a bit ashamed to admit I haven’t read any of the Black Widower stories but based on what I’ve seen and heard about them I’d have to agree. Next on my Asimov reading list is something I’ve been meaning to get around to for ages Murder at the ABA, about yes you guessed it…a murder at the ABA. Asimov said he based the lead character on Harlan Ellison…very cool.



3. What's your favorite joke from Spaced...or just the one that first comes to mind?
Ooooooh! Good question! Spaced is such a brilliant comedy show, I wish they would release it on DVD in the US. It’s been a while since I’ve seen it and I’m not sure I could pick once specific moment so instead I will post some of my favorite Star Wars related Spaced quotes:

(On The Phantom Menace)
Daisy: So how are you, you big bloody man?
Tim: I'm good, I'm good. Just, had a few things to sort out.
Daisy: With Sarah?
Tim: No, with George Lucas.
Daisy: Tim, it's been over a year.
Tim: It's been 18 months, Daisy. And it still hurts.

[to a Star Wars: The Phantom Menace fan]
Tim: You are so blind! You so do not understand! You weren't there at the beginning. You don't know how good it was! How important! This is it for you! This jumped-up firework display of a toy advert! People like you make me sick! What's wrong with you? Now, I don't care if you've saved up all your fifty 'p's, take your pocket money and get out!
[the little boy runs off, crying]
Tim: What a prick.

[Tim, Daisy and Brian have all just watched the original Star Wars trilogy]
Tim: Brian, did you notice that everything that transpired in those three films - and I *mean* everything - can be attributed to the actions of one very *minor* character?
Brian: Who?
Tim: The gunner on the Star Destroyer at the beginning of the first film.
Brian: How come?
Tim: [know-it-all] Well. Hmmhmmhmm. Because, if the gunner *had* shot the pod that C-3P0 and R2 were in, they wouldn't have got to Tatooine, they wouldn't have met Luke, Luke wouldn't have met Ben, they wouldn't have met Han and Chewie, they wouldn't
have rescued Princess Leia. *None* of it would have happened.



4. Are you a lesbian, bisexual, or none of the above/none of my business?

Would you believe this is the question I get asked more than any other and no I don’t mind answering. I am bisexual, obsessed with women, obsessed with men…I draw the line at Muppets though, even if green is a sexy color.

5. Has there ever really been a good Aquaman comic? If so, who did it?

Having never actually read an Aquaman comic I could not say for certain, but I never mind it when he shows up in the Justice League comics or cartoons.

-and-

Bonus question, to be substituted if you haven't seen Spaced (which I'm assuming you have) or you just don't like any one of the above:

Do you have a favorite Human League song?


The Human League rock, one of the great new wave bands, and I think my favorite is an obvious pick:


Do YOU want to be interviewed?

Interview rules:
1. Leave me a comment saying “Interview me.”
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the
questions.
3. You will update your blog with a post containing your the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview
someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them
five questions.

11 comments:

Gavin Elster said...

"Interview me."

John said...

I only really like the Human League BEFORE they got the girls. It was all brooding, dirgy goodness. Somwhere along the line they got happy, unfortunately, but that's what Blancmange was for . . .

John said...

Oh, and for Aquaman goodness, my favorite has always been his 70s run in Adventure Comics and then his own title.

Scurvy said...

As a diehard Aquaman fan, I have to say there have definitely been some great ones written. One of my favorites and a good one to start with is the 1986 mini. Art by Craig Hamilton (fantastic!) and the intro of the blue camo suit. The current series has been a little disjointed at times, even drawn out, but has had it's share of well written arcs. A little off topic comment, sorry, but thanks for the personal info. Definitely some intersting questions there I wouldn't have thought to ask...

Ben Varkentine said...

After I did PJ (tee hee) I gave her the chance to turn the tables, so I'll make you the same offer as well.

As for Aquaman, the Atlantis Chronicles mini-series (which is Aquaman pre-history) and Time & Time miniseries Peter David wrote are both really interesting.

SamuraiFrog said...

The only run on Aquaman I ever liked was the one "written" by Erik Larsen (fronting for Gary Carlson), but not a whole hell of a lot. It was amusing to me because Carlson set out specifically to ridicule Peter David, which is always a worthy cause.

I draw the line at Muppets though, even if green is a sexy color.

That's the difference between you and me, lady. Hey, one night Janice shows up with a bottle of tequila, she's depressed and wants to listen to records, things happen, man!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I sent you my interview questions weeks ago. Did you not get them? Email me if you did not get them.

Semaj said...

I sort of liked the Peter David/Mullet wearing Aquaman one.

But you're right he seems more interesting the Justice League stuff. Though I did like what they did with him in the Bruce Timm Universe.

Becca said...

Gavin-
You betcha! I'll email the questions tomorrow.

John-
I'm not sure I've ever heard any early Human League. I didn't actually know there was a time before the girls...how funny. I will have to dig around and find some old stuff to check out.

Comics from the 70's were great. I'll have to check that out as well.

Scurvy-
I was hoping you'd throw your two cents in here. Thanks for the reccomends!

Ben-
Tee hee....I will do you then! I'll send you an email soon.

SamuraiFrog-
Does that make you a fury?

Dr. Monkey-
Sent you an email!

Semaj-
I always like Aquaman as part of an ensamble. That Justice legue stuff is really great.

PJ said...

You can interview me if you like.

John said...

There are only a couple pre-girl albums . . . this will tell you more than you ever wanted to know:

http://www.trouserpress.com/entry.php?a=human_league

It's probably no coincidence that I prefer the Thompson Twins when they had like 7 members of the band . ..