Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Movie Geek Meme

1) Favorite quote from a filmmaker
"Normal love isn't interesting. I assure you that it's incredibly boring." -Roman polanski

2) A good movie from a bad director
Boogie Nights. God Magnolia was bad the writing was so egotistical! But I sure did love Boogie Nights.

3) Favorite Laurence Olivier performance
Sleuth for sure.

4) Describe a famous location from a movie that you have visited
I've been to Mount Rushmore...there's a scene in North by Northwest that takes place at Mount Rushmore. Does that count even if it is pretty obvious they filmed the Mount Rushmore scenes on a sound stage?

5) Carlo Ponti or Dino De Laurentiis (Producer)?
I've got to say Dino De Laurentiis for bringing us movies like Barbarella, Army of Darkness, Flash Gordon and Conan!


6) Best movie about baseball
Field of Dreams...I don't like Baseball but it's is a pretty darn good movie. I never think I like it that much then I just get caught up watching it.

7) Favorite Barbara Stanwyck performance
Hmmmm...I don't think I've seen her in a movie yet.

8) Fast Times at Ridgemont High or Dazed and Confused?
Gosh...neither I have to say.

9) What was the last movie you saw, and why?
Female Trouble, I've had it on tape for awhile but just finally got around to watching it! I wish Divine were still alive so I could marry her! So beautiful!


10) Whether or not you have actually procreated or not, is there a movie you can think of that seriously affected the way you think about having kids of your own?I always love the kids in late John Waters films like Cry-Baby and Dirty Shame. Those delinquent Rickett children in Cry-Baby are great enough to make me wish i had little delinquents of my own. And as twisted as this sounds I would love to have a daughter as cute and comfortable in her own shoes as Clarice AKA Ursula Udders.

11) Favorite Katharine Hepburn performance
The Philadelphia Story, it's really the only time I've liked Hepburn in a movie. I just never see her acting, exactly, she's always Katherine Hepburn no matter what she's playing.

12) A bad movie from a good director
The Osterman Weekend directed by Sam Peckinpah, he's a terrific director whose made some of may favorite movies like Straw Dogs and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia but The Osterman Weekend is just boring.

13) Salo: The 120 Days of Sodom-- yes or no?
Maybe...I've never seen a Pasolini movie.

14) Ben Hecht or Billy Wilder (Screenwriter)?
Ben Hecht the man wrote some of the greatest Hitchcock movies so I have to go with him!

15) Name the film festival you’d most want to attend, or your favorite festival that you actually have attended
I saw Josh Becker's Running Time starring Bruce Campbell at the Chicago International Film Festival many years ago. Becker was there and did a Q&A afterward, I actually asked a question of the man...ooooooh. I'd love to go to Cannes though...seems pretty cool.


16) Head or 200 Motels?
Oh god Head all the way! It's so fucking weird! I always loved The Monkees but this literally is The Monkees on acid. Great soundtrack!

17) Favorite cameo appearance
Has to John Waters in Hairspray as the psychologist trying to convince Penny she is wrong for liking black boys with his hypno-wheel. Hilarious!

18) Favorite Rosalind Russell performance
I am a bad movie geek I haven't seen a Rosiland Russell film either.

19) What movie, either currently available on DVD or not, has never received the splashy collector’s edition treatment you think it deserves? What would such an edition include?
Well Ken Russell's The Devils has yet to come out on DVD in this country though I heard that it might come out later this year. As far as extras I'd love to see commentary, a documentary on the making of the film and it's problems with the censors as well as the footage that was cut from the movie.

20) Name a performance that everyone needs to be reminded of, for whatever reason
Let me take this opportunity to shower a bit of attention in the direction of one of my adopt-an-actor adoptees:

In the movie Blind Fury Rutger Hauer plays a soldier left for dead in the jungles of Vietnam. Rescued by a small tribe he is nursed back to health but loses sight. As he regains his strength the tribe teaches him martial arts and even make him a seeing eye cane with a secret sword inside. He eventually returns to the US and decides to look up an old nam budy played by Terry O'Quinn, only to discover he's in some trouble with really bad people (one of the bad dudes is played by Nick Cassavetes so you know he's baaaaaad!) and now must use his martial arts skill to get his buddy and his buddies son out of a jam. Hauer is terrific in this film! You'd almost believe he's really blind and his faux martial arts skills are great! It's an awesome performance.

Click here to watch a scene from the movie. It starts slow but after about 30 seconds you get some blind swordsman action!


21) Louis B. Mayer or Harry Cohn (Studio Head)?
Louis B. Mayer of course.

22) Favorite John Wayne performance
The Searchers is his best performance but my favorite Wayne movie is either 3 Godfathers or She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

23) Naked Lunch or Barton Fink?
Haven't seen either actually.

24) Your Ray Harryhausen movie of choice
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad! What a great movie! Not only is John Phillip Law Sinbad and Caroline Munro is his too sexy badly accented companion but there is a multi-armed statue fight. AWESOME!!


25) Is there a movie you can think of that you feel like the world would be better off without, one that should have never been made?
Crash. This is a movie for people who are so cut off from the real problems of society they think it's a revelation. I know many people who claimed to be "deeply" effected by the "message" of this movie but have done nothing to change or effect the lives or behaviors of others in a positive way.

24) Favorite Dub Taylor performance
After checking IMDB I find I am way more familiar with his TV stuff like his appearance on The Monkees or The Partridge Family or Andy Griffith. There was a Dub Taylor Show?

25) If you had the choice of seeing three final movies, to go with your three last meals, before shuffling off this mortal coil, what would they be?
Oh fuck! What a question!
Cleopatra (1963)
Big Trouble in Little China
Russ Meyer's Super Vixens


26) And what movie theater would you choose to see them in?
A nice sized theater with comfortable seating with only a few people of my choosing.

I'm not gonna tag anyone but if you want to give this meme a try go for it!

6 comments:

smallerdemon said...

Just go rent or buy "His Girl Friday" for one of Cary Grant's absolute best that also is one of Rosalind Russell's best as well. Hands down, it's my favorite movie ever.

*heh* Festival is always the same. Butt-numb-a-thon. Best movie geek gathering in the world.

Scurvy said...

Blind Fury is a great film! This can't be said enough.

Dr. Zaius said...

I am forever in your debt for the photo of Caroline Munro. And "Head" was a much better film than "200 Motels", but "200 Motels" had a really great animated sequence. "Rip off a few more towels, Jeff. Get rid of that inner tension."

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I could not agree more on Boogie Nights and Magnolia. I loved the first and hated the second. In fact, if I ever see Anderson, I'm slapping him for doing Magnolia.

Becca said...

Smaller-
It's a movie I've been meaning to see for awhile. I think I actually even have a copy of the DVD around here somewhere. I LOVE Cary Grant what a great actor.

Ah I am such a sucker for a geek-fest of any kind! They are like magnets.

Scurvy-
I agree great film! All must see! All must see!

Dr. Zaius-
You are so welcome! One can never ogle Carline Munro too much or too often.

Dr. Monkey-
Give him a good kick in the nuts from me. What an egotist.

Phil Turk said...

Hey, Becca! Do yourself a favor and make your first Barbara Stanwyck movie "The Lady Eve" by Preston Sturges.