Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My Dinner With Vincent Price

Thanks to Allen for tagging me on this very fun meme!

1. Pick a single person past or present who works in the film industry you would like to have dinner with. And tell us why you chose this person.

2. Set the table for your dinner. What would you eat? Would it be in a home or at a restaurant? And what would you wear? Feel free to elaborate on the details.

3. List five thoughtful questions you would ask this person during dinner.

4. When all is said and done, select six bloggers to pass this Meme along to.

5. Link back to Lazy Eye Theatre, so people know the mastermind behind this Meme.

After lots of thought...I was surprised how long it took me to narrow it down to just one person...I would invite Vincent Price to dinner!


Vincent was a gourmand who loved food, in fact he loved food so much he had his own cooking show in the 70's (Cooking Pricewise) and even wrote his own cookbook, so I think I might leave the cooking up to him. I know it sounds weird to have the guest do the cooking but I think it would be a lot of fun to help him cook a meal and just talk. Maybe he could even give me a culinary tip or two. Then when the meal is finally done we would sit eat some good food, drink some nice wine and I could ask him these 5 questions:

1. Vincent, I think my favorite acting role of yours was as Richard of Gloucester in Tower of London. It was such a perfect performance your Richard III was driven and scary while full of fear and doubt. What was your favorite performance? Which role was most fun to play? Who were your favorite actors and directors to work with?


2. Did you ever regret getting typecast in genre movies? Is there any role you wish you'd had the chance to play but never did?

3. I understand you were an avid gardener with your own special gardening hat! I'd love to hear about your garden, what kind of plants did it favor? What was your favorite?

4. You were also an avid art collector, with an Art History degree from Yale. Who are your favorite artists of all time and why? A man of many talents do you dabble in painting as well?

5. If you were still acting today what would you dream movie project be? Where would you film? Who would be your writer, co-stars and director?

We would have a terrific desert and with a handshake he would be gone...back into the grave for him...

9 comments:

Westcoast Walker said...

Vincent Price - great choice! He had the best voice, I would have him read Dracula to me in a cavernous room filled with hundreds of candles.

madam ovary said...

I believe he was particularly interested in Native American art in his later years and sponsored young Native American artists.

As a seven year old I told all the kids in my class he was my grandfather.

Randal Graves said...

Oh man, what a truly inspired choice. Classic horror and culture. And hell, he could make the phone book sound thrilling.

Swinebread said...

The older I get the more I like Price

Bubs said...

My dad sat next to Vincent Price on a cross-country flight back in the late 60's and said he was an absolutely wonderful, witty and charming man. Somewhere I have an autograph that he gave my dad at the end of the flight.

Did you know that for a while in the 60's Sears got into the business of selling art, and their collection was chosen by Vincent Price?

Dean Wormer said...

He was great as that explorer in Hawaii on the Brady Bunch.

I hear he did some other stuff too...

Malibu Mike said...

I spoke to him about doing an interview for Psychotronic, But he was still so sad after hiss wife passed on, he was a complete gentleman on the phone, always calling me Mike (even though it's Rufus)I miss him!

Becca said...

Westcoast-
I never noticed that super neato Mr. Men profile pic!!! Rock 'n' roll!

Oh and yes he had such a great voice!! I'm getting chills just thinking about it!!!

Madam-
Wow I didn't know that! I did a bit more rading about him after I posted this and saw that he did indeed do some of his own painting which is quite neat. I have to see if I can track some down to see what it looked like.

And what a wonderful grandfather he would have made! I bet he would have had so many stories!!!

Randal-
Yeah I bet he was great fun at parties!!

Swinebread-
Me too. I always liked him but the more of his movies I see the more I adore the man!

Bubs-
Wow what a great story! I love Vincent Price! And I did not know the Sears thing. For a man who had such a long and varried career I found suprisingly little about him online.

Dean-
I completely forgot that was him! Gosh what a cheesy episode.

Malibu-
What a shame the interview didn't work out. I wish we had more actors in the world today like him.

Patricia said...

1) I would love to have dinner with Gene Wilder. I grew up watching his movies - particularly Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles and of course Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I feel I owe him a tithing of anything funny I've ever said in my entire life. The man is a genius of timing, subtlety and madness. He can express an entire thought with the movement of his eyes, and portray a character that both delights and frightens at the same time.

2) Our dinner setting would be a quiet French cafe (why not get a trip to Paris out of this?). We'd eat crusty bread, pungent and creamy cheeses, olives, potato-leek gratin and something with eggplant and fennel. I'd wear something comfortable, yet elegant, like a simple cotton dress with a flowered silk scarf tied around my neck.

3)Questions for Mr. Wilder:
a) Describe how you feel/plan your way through a scene that takes you from whispering to insanity.
b) What was your inspiration for your latest book, "My French Whore?"
c) What is the best unplanned moment you've experienced in a film?
d) Talk about what it was like to work with Richard Pryor.
e) Would you like to go home with me? ;)