Friday, February 08, 2008

Overlooked Movie: The Monster Squad

"You never set out to make a cult movie. ~Director Fred Dekker"

12-year-old Sean Crenshaw and his best friend Patrick are die hard monster fanatics. Along with their friend Horace (nicknamed Fat Kid),junior high tough guy Rudy, Sean's kid sister Phoebe, and little Eugene they come together and talk monsters. But when Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, The Gill Man, and The Mummy come to their small town to get an amulet to control the world, Sean leads his friends into action to protect their town from the forces of evil.


Taglines:
The End of the World Starts at Midnight
Call them for a monster-ous good time.
You know who to call when you have ghosts but who do you call when you have monsters?


Fun Trivia:
According to director Fred Dekker, the film was cut by 13 minutes because some executives didn't want it to run more than 90 minutes.

Sean wears a t-shirt in the film that says Stephen King Rules.

Dustin Diamond had a small role as a kid who tries to sell comic books to the boys, but this was later cut.

Liam Neeson who was considered for the role of Dracula was paid for a bit part that was never shot.


Scary German Guy (seriously that is how he is billed on the IMDB) played by Leonard Cimino was a survivor of the Nazi concentration camps of WWII he has openly displayed the number tattoo on his arm in productions such as V and The Monster Squad, where his character was also a survivor.

Duncan Regehr who played Dracula was a figure skater, an Olympic boxing contender and a classically trained Shakespearean stage actor in Canada before he got into film.

The scene where Dracula picks Phoebe off the ground and she screams was done in one take. Duncan Regehr wouldn't wear his red contacts or fangs around the five year old Ashley Bank because it scared her too much. For the scene, director Fred Dekker just told Ashley to scream once as the platform raised her. When she asked, "When?" Dekker told her, "Oh, you'll know," and proceeded to shoot. The terrified scream you hear when Dracula opens his eyes is Ashley's genuine scream of fright. Regehr was wearing his contacts and fangs.

There are at least two versions of Michael Sembello's end-credit song. In some of the VHS versions, there is a lyric referring to "..the creature swimmin' in the pool" but in more recent releases the lyric is replaced by "..the Creature From The Black Lagoon".

Brent Chalem who played Horace (AKA Fat Kid) died on December 9, 1997 of pneumonia in Las Vegas, Nevada. He was only twenty-two years old.


Fun Quotes:
Eugene: Creature stole my twinkie!

Horace: Scary German guy is bitchin'!

Sean: Rudy find some silver bullets.
Rudy: Where the hell am I suppose to find silver bullets?
Sean: I don't know. Fat kid get a map, find Shadowbrook Road.
Horace: What do I look in the index for "big scary mansion?"

Eugene: Is she a versgin?
Scary German Guy: Yes, she can do it!
Patrick: She can't read, she's five years old!
Scary German Guy: I'll help her!

Horace: Wolfman's got nards!

9 comments:

Dane of War said...

Oh wow - I haven't seen this movie in at least 18 years... or more! :)

Mayren said...

i love this movie. this is right up there with "Explorers" and "Flight of the Navigator" for me. More down to earth sub-urb kids vs all Disney ya know?
A+ flick. Thanks for the post.

Ben Varkentine said...

Not overlooked by *me*, sister!

http://varkentine.blogspot.com/2007/08/doesnt-count.html

I love this movie too-I'm waiting for my nephew, who's six, to be old enough to watch it.

I'm glad we agree!

Anonymous said...

I recently bought this 20th anniv. DVd. I had a party for all my friends and we watched it. It was a big deal for me. lol. When Phoebe cries I cry. Great movie from my childhood that I can't wait to show my children.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more. "The Monster Squad" is definitely one of the most overlooked flicks of the 80's. I heard the kid who played Horace (AKA Fat Kid) passed away...

Matta said...

this blog is Awesome! Go on, Becca!

Dean Wormer said...

Anything with the Universal monsters in it rocks.

Haven't seen this movie in a while but good choice.

Becca said...

Dane-
I hadn't seen it in years either and bought it on a whim. Glad I did! Fab DVD set.

Mayren-
Ahhh Explorers! So few people remember that movie but it's so great! What a great movie festival to see Explorers, Flight of the Navigator, Goonies and Monster Squad! Perfect day!

Ben-
I forgot you did that post!!! I remembered the instant I saw it! High five for your great taste man!

Anon-
That sounds like a lot of fun! I'm glad it's on DVD now and we can revisit it!

Anon-
I read that Horace was dead when I was looking up info about the movie! How sad...he was so young! In my head I want him to be the lawyering partner of the kid who played Chunk in The Goonies (whose a lawyer now in case it wasn't obvious)

Matta-
You are too kind! Rock on!!!

Dean-
Agreed! and this has them all! So awesome!

MC said...

Now, to await a DVD release of Dekker's other 1980's masterpiece, Night of the Creeps.