Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Guess That Movie Quote: Week 44

SamuraiFrog here again; still doing the quote quiz. I guess last week's didn't go over too badly (congratulations, MC), so I'm back to fill in for Becca once more. This one's all over the place, but it's what leapt to mind.

Her rules:
If you know or think you know the source of the movie quote please leave your guess in the comments section. As people guess the source of the quote I will grey it out and give them credit (using google to find the answers will disqualify you), the person who has the most correct guesses each week will get a fun movie genius award to decorate their blog. Any person who wins 5 weeks (consecutive or non-consecutive) will earn a Movie Master award and must then refrain from guessing for 5 weeks but a master can email quote suggestions for the game.

S'alright? S'alright.

1. "You see, when it comes to words like that, an illiterate person..." "Whaddaya mean 'illiterate'? My father and mother were married right here in the city hall!"

2. "Oh Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars." (J.D.)

3. "Back home everyone said I didn't have any talent. They might be saying the same thing over here, but it sounds better in French." (The Dancing Astrophysicist)

4. "Big city, hmm? Live. Work, huh? But. Only peoples. Peoples is peoples. No is buildings. Is tomatoes, huh? Is peoples, is dancing, is music, is potatoes. So, peoples is peoples. Okay?"

5. "No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering." (Arkonbey)

6. "This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good." (Jaquandor)

7. "Ow! My robot balls!"

8. "He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him." (Jaquandor)

9. "You have muddled everything from the start, taking that child with you from Marrakesh. Don't you realize that Americans dislike having their children stolen?" (Captain Incredible)

10. "Don't take that tone with me, young man. I fought the war for your sort." "I bet you're sorry you won." (The Imaginary Reviewer)


**Update from Becca*
Okay as official Movie Quote Quiz referee I'm going to step in here and make a call. For at least 3 weeks in a row JMC-VA has stepped in at the end of a quiz and been able to come up with the answers to any remaining sometimes very obscure quotes. While I am willing to believe this was possible for one or two weeks in a row, three weeks seems a bit too much of a coincidence and I think perhaps JMC-VA has been using google to get the answers. If I am wrong JMC-VA let me know and I will apologize but...

So considering the above this week's winner is the awesome man in the overalls Jaquandor! Way to go you movie genius you! You may collect your reward below:


And for his indomitable spirt the award for most consecutive weeks without a correct guess goes to our very own Rudy, Pidomon. Keep on trying man you are bound to get one soon!

17 comments:

Splotchy said...

I gots nothing

Captain Incredible said...

9. The Man Who Knew Too Much

8. The X-Files (?)

7. Robots

Captain Incredible said...

2 sounds like Conspiracy Theory, if only because I can't think of another movie with a character called Jerry (who talks, presumably and wasn't a mouse)...

4 - spoken by Hector Elizondo in a movie about a bunch of postal workers who start answering letters to God and I can't think of the damn name...

dancinastrophys said...

3. An American In Paris

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

10: A Hard Day's Night

Jaquandor said...

Wow, I'm actually in time for this?!

6. Lilo & Stitch

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Arkonbey said...

1. The Thin Man. A greater screen couple there has never been.

5. Hellraiser two. I think. They all blew

7. Bender's Big Score.

SamuraiFrog said...

Splotchy: Aw, man...

Captain Incredible: 9 is right, but not the others. 2 is from the 1940s.

Your guess on 4 isn't right, but the movie is Dear God. I always remember Roger Ebert's line: "The kind of movie you walk out repeating the title of, but not in a good way."

Dancinastrophys: Right.

Imaginary Reviewer: Indeed. Nice catch!

Jaquandor: Both right. I love that you got the science fiction.

Arkonbey: I will say this: 1 and 5 are very, very close but not quite there.

pidomon said...

yeah i gots nothing as usual but am going for the consecutive weeks without an answer award

J.D. said...

2. Now, Voyager!

Great movie.

Captain Incredible said...

Damn - and I was so reasonably confident...

Thanks for clearing up the 'Dear God' thing, though - it was doing my head in...

Arkonbey said...

1. ANOTHER Thin Man (when they were back in San Fran. This was the exchange with the brunette dancer/singer)

2. I'll have to go with the original Hellraiser as my final answer. I really remember the original Pinhead saying this. I did enjoy the pause between "Don't cry" and "it's a waste of good suffering"

jmc_va said...

1. AFTER the thin man
4. the muppets take manhattan?
7. eurotrip

Arkonbey said...

jmc_va: damn! You got me. The problem is we went on a month-long Thin Man binge and after a while, they all sort of meld together. But, in a good way!

Becca said...

And here are the answers:

1. After the Thin Man
2. Now, Voyager
3. An American in Paris
4. The Muppets Take Manhattan
5. Hellraiser
6. Lilo & Stitch
7. Eurotrip
8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
9. The Man Who Knew Too Much
10. A Hard Day’s Night

Arkonbey said...

Embarrassing that I missed After the Thin Man. Do I get a booby prize for relating the scene where said quoted exchange took place? Oh, well. At least I got one! Woo!

pidomon said...

It's a MAJOR award

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thanks B