Sunday, September 28, 2008

Lamb of the Month: EuroTrip

On the day of his High School graduation Scotty Thomas (Scott Mechlowicz) gets dumped by his long-term girlfriend Fiona (Kristen Kreuk). Later that day trying to make him feel a bit better Scotty gets dragged to a party by his best friend, and slacker extraordinaire Cooper (Jacob Pitts). Drowning his sorrows in beer the situation doesn't get any better when the band starts playing a little punk sounding ditty, Scotty Doesn't Know, featuring every lewd detail of Fiona and the singer's affair.

Completely devistated, drunk and angry, Scotty arrives home and answers an email from Mieke, Scotty's good friend and German pen pal whom he assumes is male. Mike says he is sorry for all that has happened to Scotty, and wanted to meet up with him to make him feel better. Scotty jumps to the homophobic conclusion, calling Mieke a sick German freak in his reply only to find out much to late that Mieke is not a male name but a females name.

Realizing his mistake, and that he has feelings for her, Scotty joined by Cooper and two other high school friends brother and sister Jenny (Michelle Trachtenberg) and Jamie (Travis Wester), Scotty travels to Europe intending to find Mieke and fix the situation face to face, but of course it's not as easy as all that...

First there is a run in with a group of soccer hooligans in England, then the robot face off in front of the Lourve in France, the dominatrix in Amsterdam, their brush with wealth and the green fairy in Slovakia, a run-in with the pope in Vatican City and an amazingly wonderful cameo by David Hasselhoff.

On the outside this movie looks like just another silly teen flick but in reality it's so much more. Anyone who longs for the days of movies like Revenge of the Nerds and the Harold & Kumar flicks will really enjoy EuroTrip; it's full of cheap gags, great performances, hilarious cameos, robot balls and something you rarely see in the college-age, gross-out comedies these, days nudity. If all those things sound like fun to you then I think you'll have a great time watching EuroTrip. I've seen this movie close to 50 times now and never get tired of it! I highly recommend this underrated movie.

8 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I quite liked Euro Trip.

Jason Chalker said...

I agree. It was a highly underrated comedy. Love the blog, by the way.

RAB said...

I dunno...this is a really tough sell...but considering how spectacular your taste in movies is, I'm inclined to rate this recommendation more highly than most.

Can I blame you afterwards if I hate it? I mean, you'd get the credit if I love it, so fair's fair...

Bubs said...

Yes, but is it as funny as "Hostel"?

MC said...

They just showed it this weekend on a specialty cable channel up here... and it reminded me of when I went to go see it at the theatre.

The fight Scotty has in Paris deserves a wing in the physical comedy hall of fame, it really does.

Becca said...

Dr. Monkey-
Yes I think it's a new comedy classic!

Jason-
Aww thanks! and I'm glad to see so many people agree that EuroTrip was a darn good movie!

RAB-
Yeah I thought it was going to be awful! But I got into it about the time Matt Damon showed up. Caught it on a cable about a dozen times then actually went out and bought the DVD. If you do check it out I hope you enjoy! And fair is fair you can give me a virtual finger wagging if you hate it.

Bubs-
LOL!!!

MC-
Yes! ERROR! Classic scene and certainly my favorite from the movie!

Lee said...

Scotty doesn't know is a regular on my ipod - one of my favourite teen movies.

Becca said...

Yes! That song is just soooo perfect, it's been on my Ipod alot too though I don't think it is at the moment...

Great teen movie!