Thursday, December 11, 2008

I caught that virus again!

Splotchy has started another story virus meme and John over at Smoke Rings and Matterings has tagged me to pick up the story where he left off:

Here's how Splotchy started us off:

The bus was more crowded than usual. It was bitterly cold outside, and I hadn't prepared for it. I noticed that a fair number of the riders were dressed curiously. As I glanced around, I stretched my feet and kicked up against a large, heavy cardboard box laying under the seat in front of me.

Splotchy then tagged Samurai Frog:

I looked around for the box's owner. Across the aisle from me, a pretty girl flashed me a smile and cocked her head. She was motioning toward the box. Encouraging me. Sliding the box back towards me, I opened it and was immediately confused. Inside was a plastic rain poncho, a police baton, and a Donald Duck mask. I looked around and saw that several people were wearing plastic rain ponchos. I looked back over at the pretty girl. "You're ready for this, right?" she asked me. "They wouldn't have sent you if you weren't ready."

And then John:

"Ready for what?" I asked. "I have no idea what..."
The girl shot her hand out to shush me, brushing my lips with her fingertips. I was just pondering what nicely-manicured fingers they were when she leaned over to look at something through the window behind me. The other rain poncho-wearers had seen whatever it was, too, and began to put on their Donald Duck masks. I swivelled around to see what the fuss was about.
A guy in a pelican mask was standing on the sidewalk, pointing up at the bus windows as we rounded a corner.
"Look, it's either us or the pelicans!" snapped the girl. "And frankly, if you're still undecided, then we're all screwed. We need you to break the code, get us in and help negotiate the swap or else it's gonna be all-out bird war out there!"

And here is what I have to contribute:

Bird war? But that wasn't supposed to happen for at least 100 years, could it be that Frommers guide to Time Travel was wrong yet again? Damn it, I knew I should have bought the Fodors! Well there was no time for that now the bus was stopped and I had to decide to fight or die. I put the mask on and hoped I would remember my RAF training. I got out of my seat and my ducky companions and I flooded out of the bus. The pelicans were waiting and they looked angry.

Okay and that is where I will leave the story and I will tag the following folks to write the next part if they wish:

Sunandheir
Ben
Tim
Erin

4 comments:

Ben Varkentine said...

As before, thanks but no thanks.

And BTW, I've been linking the heck out of ya over at DG...

Becca said...

Oh my gosh I forgot about that! Sorry, I will try to remember if it ever comes up again :) Just seemed like a fun thing but I understand your position :)

And I need to catch up on my blog reading! I've been a bit under the weather and I've fallen waaaaay behind!

Anonymous said...

I've not been tagged (kinda hard to tag Anonymous and get the right one...), but the story is getting interesting, so here's my attempt.

After an intense standoff, we negotiated with the pelicans, they weren't who we supposed to fight in the all-out bird war. We ended up losing one of the piers to allow us to try and enter the warehouse. As I stepped up to the cypher, I recognized it was a Fibonacci sequence symbol-cypher I had designed. A quick look at the end, and I was able to determine the code quickly. As the doors opened, our highest ranking person reached into his poncho, and pulled out an odd-shaped container and told a select few to go in with him. I was not chosen, and quite frankly, the Penguin/Falcon alliance rattled me enough to know I was better off for our side where I was.

Splotchy said...

Thanks a lot for playing, Becca.

I could see this bird war go apocalyptic pretty fast.