Thursday, March 26, 2009

Happy Birthday Leonard Nimoy!

Wow it's Leonard Nimoy's birthday too! That man rocks, I love his acting, his photography, even his music! Now to celebrate the life of this true renaissance man here are 5 facts you may or may not have known about him!



1. His father had a barbershop in Boston, where one of the more popular haircuts given was the "Spock cut."

2. The Vulcan nerve pinch concept on Star Trek was invented by Nimoy when he and the show's writers were trying to figure out how an unarmed Spock could overpower an adversary without resorting to violence. He and William Shatner are the only actors to appear in every episode of the original Star Trek series.

3. As a non-commissioned officer in the army, Nimoy was in charge of a platoon that included a Ken Berry. Berry later said in an interview that he confided to Nimoy his ambitions to be a dancer and performer and Nimoy encouraged him to go to California at the end of his enlistment.

4.Nimoy opened exotic pet shop in 1970 after Trek's cancellation.

5. Due to their similar deep voices, it was rumoured for years that Nimoy actually recorded the bulk of Orson Welles Unicron dialogue in The Transformers: The Movie. Welles died before the film's release, but voice actress Susan Blu has gone on record saying that Welles recorded all his lines before his death.

10 comments:

Arkonbey said...

he is the man.

I actually remember him best for In Search Of, that wonderful show from the Credulous seventies.

Did you get to hear him on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me? (I hope so, it's a Chicago Public Radio show after all;)

verifcation word: rearicat. slightly more stinky than the fronticat.

Dragonetta said...

I've always thought that Leonard Nimoy was a hottie. ;P

Anonymous said...

Ooh, great photo from the Muppets Show segment "Pigs In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace".

Of note, he was a well travelled actor who played bit parts, sometimes several parts on different shows (3 on Wagon Train, 2 on M Squad, at least 3 on Sea Hunt, 4 on Gunsmoke, etc.)

After Star Trek, he became a regular on Mission: Impossible when the original groupin gleft for other careers, before he provided Spock's voice on Star Trek: The Animated Series.

I don't get why people thought he (Nimoy) voiced Unicron. He did voice Galvatron in the movie (Welker voiced him in the TV series) and Orson Welles had said in an interview afterwards that he'd voiced "some toy," despite the fact that Unicron didn't have a toy for almost 2 decades later.

Verification word: winvent

It's what happens when you invent something you know will truly change the world and make you a rich man or woman.

Anonymous said...

Crud, didn't catch the typos, 'tis the trouble when you self-proofread on a long post...

Becca said...

Arkonbey-
I've only seen bits and pieces of In Search Of but I always hope it's something I'll catch on TV again! And I didn't hear him on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me? Actually I've never heard of that show and I listen to a TON of radio. Ahhh it's NPR...don't listen to a ton of NPR but I'll have to check it out.

Rearicat! Ha! Brilliant!

Dragonetta-
I agree and it's not something I really noticed til I got a bit older!

Anon-
I know it is like the bestest photo! Muppets rule!

On bit parts I seem to remember him showing up on at least 1 of those Columbo movies too. I think he was like in charge of a vinyard or something...and yes he was the killer.

The Transformers thing really is weird. I dunno Fanboys can sometimes be weirdos!

Oh Winvent! That must have popped up to honor Mr. Nimoy's Columbo appearance!

buzz said...

I was working for Sunbow when the TRANSFORMERS animated movie was done. Welles' original voice was used all the way through; Nimoy was never brought on board.

Laura said...

Big Bang Theory: Penny gives Sheldon Leonard Nimoy's autograph for Christmas...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyQz8jWAl7s&feature=PlayList&p=40100386798BE8B6&index=2

Becca said...

Buzz-
What an interesting job! Thanks for setting the record straight!

Laura-
Holy cow I forgot about that! I really adore that show, it just keeps getting better!

Keith said...

Happy Birthday! I've been a fan of his since I can remember. Whether it was from Star Trek, In Search Of, etc. He is definitely the man.

11 said...

I love it ! Very creative ! That's actually really cool Thanks.