Monday, August 10, 2009

Chicago Comi-Con 2009: Costume Report

Thank you all for the well wishes! The con went amazingly well, my best yet and I had soooo much fun!!! It was great to meet so many new people and get a chance to catch up with some very cool folks! I even got to meet Gil (Buck Rogers) Gerrard! The fangirl highlight of my weekend. Sigh he's still sooo dreamy (firm hand shake)! I know, I know I'm hopeless!

I plan to do a few posts on the convention, post some of my commissioned drawings and a report of some of the cool swag I got but this first post will be about all the amazing costumes I got a chance to see!

The battle damage/ wear on this costume was fab! I was about 20 feet away from the 501st booth so there were lots of cool Star Wars themed costumes all weekend.

If anyone knows what this character is I'd love to know. Of course it could be an original concept too but either way he looked amazing! **update** It's Disney's The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh.

It's Shaun! And he's got a little red on him.

The Punisher, Space Ghost and The Shadow! Sweet!

Awww The Little Mermaid! She was so beautiful!

It's Zatana!

These guys made their own shirts. The Darth Vader "Nooooo!" went all around the shirt and that Jar Jar is just terrific!

The first of two Ash Ketchems I saw this weekend. I don't know what the foxy girl was but she did say that tail was darn heavy. And of course Misty and Jigglypuff!

Cthulu backpack!!!!! THIS BAG ROCKS SO HARD!

Batman, Nightwing and Superman. I recognized them from this 2007 picture when they were dressed as Batman and Robin. That Batman costume is soooo cool:



My favorite detail of this costume is the Weyland-Yutani badge.

These costumes were really well made and just gorgeous. They must have spent a ton of time on them.

COBRA COMMANDER!!!

And The Baroness though she was not with the Cobra Commander pictured above. And that is a print of my Baroness drawing print that she is posing with. Alas with the crappy convention hall lighting you cannot see all the detail.

Black Canary and The Power Puff Girls! Black Canary is another cosplayer I've seen before, normally she wears an amazing Supergirl costume.

And here is the second Ash Ketchem, Pikachu and DUFF MAN! Duff man says DRINK DUFF!!!! responsibly...

DR. Strange, this is a pretty great costume hair and all!

Another wonderful Baroness costume. She too is holding my Baroness drawing print.

This was Jaimin one of my neighbors in the Artist Alley from Albatross Entertainment. Halfway through the day on Saturday she changed into her amazing homemade Leeloo costume. So awesome, very probably my favorite costume from the weekend! She commissioned a drawing from me of her in the costume and that is what she is holding :) And her multi-pass as well!

CHEWBACCA! he made those great Chewbacca growls too! Whatawookie!

Radan (sp?) and Lara Croft say hello!

Okay this is not a costume but damn that's a cool statue of Optimus Prime!!!!

Okay another costume I'm not sure of...is she Elektra? It looks great either way. **Update thanks to Donovan Ravenhull who helpfully reminded me this is Psylocke. Duh! Thanks Donovan!

A female Mandalorian bounty hunter. That armor is sooo cool. And yes thats all her own hair.

Another familiar cosplayer.


Here she is in 2007.

and again in 2008, man she has some terrific costumes!

Okay I saved the best for last. This is the best Slave Leia I've seen to date and the only one I saw this year. That is my R2 and Leia drawing print she is holding :)

AND C-3PO and R2-D2!!!! There was a guy inside 3PO, who spoke with an Anthony Daniels like voice through a microphone so he voice didn't sound muffled. And that R2 was REMOTE CONTROLLED!!!! So fucking cool! I took a tiny bit of video of R2 running around the floor not much though he was mobbed by picture takers at every minute.

17 comments:

Donovan Ravenhull said...

The one you were not sure about appears to be the post body change ninja girl version of Psylocke of the X-men.

Cool pics over all.

Ben Varkentine said...

A purple R2-D2? Thank god Jerry Falwell is dead...

Payo said...

Raiden from Mortal Kombat.

And the lady in orange is Foxxy Love from "Drawn Together."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drawn_Together

waiwode said...

Scarecrow of Romney Marsh? Well, sort of. The man with the scarecrow mask is Dr Syn! (Who appeared in a film alternately titled "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Syn

buzz said...

I LOVE* Overweight Cobra Commander!













*...in a chaste, manly way...

Matt said...

So awesome! That must have been a blast!

Can't get enough of that wonderful Duff!

Alien Piggy said...

These costumes rock! The Weyland Corporate person is so cooool! I can't believe you were across from the 501s!!!!

Lee Sargent said...

It looks like such a lot of fun, I'm so glad you made it this year!

Yerk Toader said...

Man, there is a lot of rad shit there and yes - that Cthulu backpack is AWESOME.

Someone posted a pic of a cosplayer from this year's SD Con of a girl as the Baroness who was not only breathtaking but had a super good costume as well.

That guy as the Weyland-Yutani exec actually kinda looks like Hart Bochner as Harry Ellis in Die Hard! hahaha:"HaaaAAAAnnnns! Bubbe!"

And I heart Shaun of the Dead :D

Donovan Ravenhull said...

I wonder if slave girl Leia was holding her leg like that to avoid a 'spot check': http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Ravenhull/f_motivatorspm_984ee08.jpg

And because I like the posters, heres one for fun: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Ravenhull/480px-MPost800-Motivator_jennifer.jpg

Arkonbey said...

Great pics. Profitable trip?

And, that's not R2D2, that the Droid Formerly Known as R2D2...

Verification word: Solyinge: The jelly-like slime that Soylent Green is packed in (reminiscent of the Spam jelly substance)

Becca said...

Donovan-
YES! Gosh I can't believe I didn't recognize her!

Ben-
I don't know I thought he was kind of cool.

Payo-
Right! Duh missing an I.... And I figured she was supposed to be Foxxy I just forgot to write it in. She always has the bestest costumes!

Waiwode-
Ahhhh. I've actually never seen the show/ movie, just some pictures on the web. Thank you!

Buzz-
Me too! I so want to see him palling around with Unemployed Skeletor!!!!

Matt-
A huge blast! And that Duff man costume was terrific!

Alien Piggy-
Yes! So mad the picture is a bit blurry! But awesome, awesome costume. And I must have seen 50 really great Star Wars costumes thanks to how close we were to the 501st. They must put an amazing amount of time and effort into those costumes!

Lee-
Me too!!!!

Yerk-
Yes it is the awesomest of back packs! well maybe the Yoda one is a close second. And a Hart Bochner reference rock on! Shaun's costume was fab! He was a really nice guy.

Donovan-
I knew that sooner or later someone would catch Leia from the right angle :) I noticed that my Leia had some subtle bikini bottoms on which is probably a smart thing... Of course you have to be a bit of an exhibitionist to wear a fab costume like this one!

Arkonbey-
Thank you, yes and HA! I was waiting for someone to make a Prince reference :)

Ewwwwww Spam jelly!!!!!!

Yerk Toader said...

Man, you're working overtime on the replies!

I lolled at the Prince reference :D

Dr. Zaius said...

Ha! These are awesome!

Wendel said...

You didn't know "Scarecrow'???

I do wish Disney would start playing its classics on the Disney channel again.

We use to play Scarecrow all the time as kids. We would put poles through our shirts, wear the mask, and run around cackling all day long.

Now people don't even know who he is.

-sigh- "Kids" these days.

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

I think the foxy girl with the tail with Ash and Misty was supposed to Pachirisu.

Sorry...I'm digging through your archives because I'm home with a sick kid, I just found your site, and I find you very amusing and an amazing art talent.

Cara Mengobati Kencing Nanah said...

Obat Kencing Nanah
Obat Sipilis
Obat Herbal Kutil Kelamin
Obat Kencing Nanah
Obat Kencing Nanah Ampuh
Obat Kelamin Keluar Nanah
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Alami
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Alami
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Alami
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Alami
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Ampuh
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Ampuh
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Ampuh
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Ampuh
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Ibu Hamil
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Ibu Hamil
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Ibu Hamil
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Ibu Hamil
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Di Apotik
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Di Apotik
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Di Apotik
Penyembuhan Kencing Keluar Nanah Di Apotik