Thursday, April 22, 2010

Oh Rob Liefeld...

So I've made it no secret that I am not a fan of Rob Liefeld's art and I know a number of you agree with me so I needed to share a link. Progressive Boink had an article from 2007 called The 40 Worst Rob Liefeld Drawings and it's brilliant! The article critiques 40 separate illustrations by Liefeld and it is appropriately hilarious! Here's a sample:

In "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way," "Drawing Comics in the Style of Detective Comics Comics," "Aping Shit the Valiant Way," and every other drawing tutorial I've been a part of, it clearly says that every line you draw on a person's face adds to their age. When you're drawing children or sexy young women you give them clean surfaces to suggest youth and a tightness of veins, and when you draw Clint Eastwood in an eyepatch hanging out with Gen 13 you draw all over his face to let people know he's old. Depending on who you talk to, every line can equal a year added onto the life of your character.

Shaft, the young leader of rogue operative team "Youngblood," is 900 years old. And he's looking through really fine blinds. Also, his head is on fire. Image Comics is about living for the moment and taking it to the extreme, they didn't have time to learn that when you stick your head in a shadow it blocks the light on both your face AND your hair. Doing research for the Lion King? Let Disney Comics go to fucking Africa and look at how lions work, draw the lion from a point of view no man can see, and when the ink is still wet, run a comb over it.

Isn't it funny that when asked to create a universe of characters for his own comic book line Rob Liefeld draws a guy who looks exactly like Rob Liefeld and names him "Shaft?"


Seriously you guys need to check this out. So funny.

9 comments:

Arkonbey said...

Oh, gods! I've despised him for years (remember the Levis 501 commercial?)

Here's an old Liefeld mock

I think I really hate him for being the nail in the coffin of the New Mutants (Bill S. forever!).

Drake said...

This is priceless. Say what if Mr. Ego i mean Rob up to these days and no i really don't want to know. :)

King AdBeck said...

Boy, if one name is synonymous with over-hyped garbage comics of the '90s, it has to be Liefeld. But, he wasn't the first comic "artist" to show complete disregard for the laws of human anatomy, spatial relations, and natural lighting, and he won't be the last. And he made a good living off of his meager talents, so whatever else I might say would just be sour grapes.

But I'll second what Arkonbey said - Sienkiewicz was the real deal!

Kevin said...

That's so funny- I've always hated this guy's art but never knew his name. Now I do! What's with all the big goddamn hair all the time? Anyway... count me in as a definite non-fan of this guy.

Kevin said...

Man oh man! Sorry to post again but I'm reading this article and it's HILARIOUS! This guy is being totally ripped apart! Deservedly so.

yerktoader said...

Well he does have LIE in his name. I always hated his hash shading with a passion. Before I ever heard someone else say it, I had a gut reaction to it's ugliness.

So in the spirit of Liefeld hate, I'd like to quote a great man who had impeccable taste in the world of comic books:

"Fuck Rob Liefeld."
-Abe Lincoln

Kyle S. said...

The first and last word in Rob Liefeld art criticism is right here: http://goo.gl/hGjU
Heroes Reborn Cap. Image possibly NSFW, definitely not safe for brain.

I was unsurprised to learn that Liefeld had "discovered" Pat Lee, they share the same sense of anatomy.

Becca said...

Arkonbey-
YES! You mentioned that link a while back but I re-read. I admit it I never get tired of reading people bash Liefeld.

And god that commercial.

You know I was about 5 feet away from him a number of times last Chicago Comi-con and boy you could feel the douchyness wafting outward. Scary.

Drake-
Ha! Mr. Ego! And I have no clue what he's up to...aside from convention guesting...see above...

King AdBeck-
No kidding! And yeah it's true he's not the first but he's certainly in the top 3 worst professional artists.

Of course you have a point, he has been tremendously successful and I don't want to sound jealous of that success but boy his art is really hard to look at, his writing is even worse. I guess it's a personal preference I feel the same way about Picasso I know a lot of folks love him but I just never appreciated his style.

Kevin-
Glad to be of service :) AND YES THAT HAIR IS INSANE!!!!

And yes this is one of the funniest articles I've had the pleasure of reading, glad you got a laugh too.

Yerk-
HA! Your quote is so perfect...tears running down my cheek so funny, so great. I may have to borrow it.

Kyle-
Oh my god... o_o

FUCK SO MUCH WRONG WITH THAT ANATOMY! Rob, Rob, Rob.....what is wrong with you. He adds so many muscles it's almost like a fetish. I may have to borrow that picture...

Semaj said...

His Captain America is painful to see. And I hate the way he draws women. I just recent read about his shady dealings with Image Comics.

Have you read about the Liefeld/Yellow Hat Guy incident?
http://superfunadventuretime.com/2009/08/09/avengers-avenged/

I dont like Liefeld, but he didn't deserve this incident.